Terms and Conditions for Public and Themed Trips on John Pinkerton
1. The John Pinkerton II trip boat is operated by John Pinkerton Canal Cruises Ltd (the Company), a wholly owned subsidiary of The Basingstoke Canal Society.
2. The boat is licenced to carry up to a maximum of 50 passengers, which includes babes in arms, plus a crew of four.
3. Senior Citizens and Less Able-Bodied Persons should note:
- Access into the boat is by five steps down from the rear deck, with handrails on each side.
- There is no mechanical lift for wheelchair users.
- Group organisers must provide able-bodied helpers for those that need looking after, and to lift wheelchair users if necessary. The crew cannot assist with the handling of wheelchairs or their occupant.
4. The Company reserves the right to refuse bookings without giving a reason for doing so.
5. The Company reserves the right, when necessary and without notice, to alter the trip schedule. Although any such action will be exceptional, we do not guarantee to operate any services in accordance with published schedules, or at all. If the Company is unable to fulfil its commitment to undertake a trip, it will be cancelled and customers will be offered a trip on an alternative date or, at the option of the Company, have all the charges paid refunded, but the Company will not be liable for other losses incurred by the customer.
6. The Company reserves the exclusive rights for the sale and supply of all drinks taken on board.
7. No alcohol may be consumed by passengers under the age of 18. Passengers who appear to be under the age of 25 may be asked to provide proof of age before being served with alcohol.
8. Smoking and vaping are not permitted whilst on board the boat.
9. For your own safety and the safety of others, passengers must follow instructions given by our crew when embarking/disembarking or whilst on board.
10. The Skipper may refuse to carry any passengers, or direct any passenger to disembark, where the behaviour of that passenger is liable to cause nuisance or offence to the other passengers or put at risk the safety of the passenger, other passengers, crew or vessel.
11. Each ticket holder is responsible for the behaviour of his/her party and any damage caused by them, and for ensuring that all members of his/her party are aware of these ‘Booking Conditions’.
12. The Company shall not be liable for any loss, damage or delay to any persons or their possessions whilst embarking or disembarking from the vessel or during the voyage, unless such loss or damage is caused by the negligence of the crew on board the vessel.
13. Passengers are advised to limit valuables and property brought on board to that which they can safely carry, as space on the boat is limited. All personal property is the passenger’s responsibility and must be kept with them at all times.
14. On-line bookings for advertised Public Trips must be made by 11pm on the night before the trip.
15. Booking of Themed Trips must be made at least 48 hours in advance of the trip departure time.
16. Your booking will not be secured until payment has been received and we cannot take online advance bookings on the day of departure.
17. Customers wishing to cancel a trip booking should contact our booking team for assistance. Refunds will not normally be given, particularly if the booking cannot be resold; however, the customer will be offered a trip on an alternative date.
18. Except for assistance dogs, we regret that dogs cannot be taken on public or theme trips.
Larger Party Group organisers should note:
19. A gangway down the centre of the boat must be maintained at all times for the safety of all persons on board.
20. Seating is usually arranged in pairs or fours down each side of the boat.
21. Parties of greater than 8 may therefore not be able to sit together and should be prepared to mix with other passengers.
22. The Company will endeavour to accommodate seating requests, providing the party organiser submits a single booking for the party, or provides prior notice of the names of individually booked persons.
23. Maximum size of any one party is 24 on a Public Trip or 16 on a Theme Trip (50% capacity) and only one such party will be allowed to book on each trip, with the express permission of the booking team. (Exclusive use of the boat can be guaranteed by making a charter booking.)
Conditions for Use of Gift Vouchers on Public or Theme Trips:
24. Public Trip Gift Vouchers can be redeemed when you book and pay online.
25. Boat Trip Gift Vouchers can be redeemed for Public Trips or Theme Trips. Search the online calendar, note the date and time, and then contact the Booking Team to make your booking.
26. Gift vouchers can be redeemed for trips on either boat but have no other cash value.
27. The trip boat skippers cannot accept vouchers as payment for a trip in lieu of cash.
28. If the value of the voucher exceeds the price of the trip, the residual amount may be used towards another trip. A cash refund cannot be given.
In addition, for Public Trips only
29. Passengers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or carer. A reduced ticket price is offered.
30. If you have not made a pre-paid booking, it may still be possible for you to get aboard if spaces are available. If this is the case, you can pay your fare to the skipper.
31. The Company has no objection to family parties bringing their own food for personal consumption during a trip. However, as space may be restricted on Public Trips the provision for group food tables will only be allowed with the express permission of the Booking Team.