They say there’s no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing! With this in mind, what a good idea it is to put your walking boots on and pack some waterproofs and sandwiches for a few hours in the countryside!
We love the Basingstoke Canal and you may love walking so we’ve put the two together with some fantastic walks. Of course you could just start at Woodham and finish 32 miles later at the Greywell Tunnel but if that’s far too energetic you can make use of our shorter walks below. One or two have been taken from Rambles on the Basingstoke Canal which has 12 circular walks and is available to buy from our online shop.
Whichever way you get your walking route, we hope you enjoy your time in the fresh air and don’t forget to always adhere to the Countryside Code – leave everything the way you found it – take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints.
You can download .gpx or .kml files from OutDoorActive and import these files into virtually any route app on your smartphone.
Google Maps can utilise .kml files.
Suggested Walking Routes
- Brookwood Cemetery and Sheet’s Heath Common – 5 miles (8km) or 3.2 miles (5.1km)
- Odiham, Broad Oak and Dogmersfield Park – 4.75 miles (7.6km)
- Frimley Lodge Park/Basingstoke Canal – 4.5 miles (7.5km)
- Basingstoke Canal Circular (Starting at Crookham Wharf Car Park) – 8.5 miles (13.8km)
- West Byfleet to Hampton Court (Basingstoke Canal, River Wey, River Thames) – 10.9m (17.5km)