14 March 2020
- The safety of all our volunteers, their families and those we come into contact with, and
- Doing what we can to help reduce the risk of any additional pressure on the medical services and the NHS.
Accordingly with immediate effect, we plan to implement the following:
- Boat trips – Our trip boats Kitty and John Pinkerton will temporarily cease operations. We will be contacting those who have already booked trips where required. For more information, see the John Pinkerton Canal Cruises website.
- Saturday Working Parties – Will be temporarily put on hold.
- The Annual General Meeting – Which was planned for 16th of May will now either be deferred or conducted by some form of electronic webinar. Further details to follow.
- Chobham Meetings – The Chobham meetings will be put on hold from the end of this month. All other local events are put on hold.
- Lengthsmen – Recognising that in this role lengthsmen are meeting the public. Lengthsmen need to be aware of the ‘one meter rule’.
- Other meetings – We are aware that there are various other meetings and work being done by volunteers behind-the-scenes. It is the volunteer’s choice if they wish to attend any small group meetings (or as above carry out Lengthsman duties). They should ensure they follow appropriate hand cleansing and other guidelines. Where possible we encourage the use of remote working technology including Skype to avoid unnecessary face to face discussions.
The above plans have been coordinated with the Basingstoke Canal Authority who are implementing similar changes.
We will of course review these decisions in line with developments.
We are sure that you fully understand the above and thank you for your help in ensuring that the Society does what it can to protect volunteers and canal users.
The Basingstoke Canal Society.